Monday, March 30, 2009

A Walk in the Woods - The Title - Chapter 20 - #18


"I had discovered an America that millions of people scarcely know exists. I made a friend. I came home... So Katz was right after all, and I don't care what anybody says. We hiked the Appalachian Trail."(pg 274)

These are the last words of A Walk In the Woods, and perhaps, the most entertaining and moving. Prior to this, Bryson describes the many beautiful aspects of the woods that few people even know are right outside their door. Having had a similar experience in New Mexico, I can definitely relate to how he feels. When I walk in the woods, I do not simply see trees, but I have this feeling of adventure and curiosity, and most of all, appreciation. I think A Walk In The Woods is a fabulous title because it draws attention to the fact that people can have a similar experience by simply walking in the woods. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in the outdoors of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment