Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Walk in the Woods - Mary Ellen (intersting charater) - #17

In Chapter 5, the two men meet Mary Ellen (probably not the real name of the person they met) who turns out to be a very goofy person. This is how Bryson introduces her: "I have long known that it is God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth, and Mary Ellen was proof that even in the Appalachian woods I would not be spared. It became evident from the first moment that she was a rarity." I have never read a book where the author has characterized somebody so crudely and honestly. Mary Ellen follows them for a couple days. Soon afterwards, they make a plan to escape from her presence. After finally escaping her, they are almost remorseful they left her alone on the trail. Overall, I liked the detail and characterization Bryson gave Mary Ellen.

No comments:

Post a Comment