Thursday, February 19, 2009

First or Last Line - graded blog post


As I walked through the snow capped mountains of New Mexico, I was awed by the serenity and beauty of the world around me. The clear streams, lush forests, and incredible vistas make New Mexico a remarkable location. This was the fifth day of our trek and our adventure was wearing down on our bodies. Today we hiked up the second tallest mountain on Philmont Scout Ranch; Mount Phillips. As we hiked up the mountain, I can vividly recall feeling the air getting thinner and colder. Having already hiked ten miles, the exhaustion was great. When we arrived at the top, I took my first step on snow, realizing, ironically, today was the fourth of July. However, there were no fireworks or parties, only the rush of cold air and the setting sun over the distant Colorado mountains. There is nothing lonelier than adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment